Request for Comedy Scripts
After a five year break, the award-winning sketch comedy series CAUTION: May Contain Nuts is back for a fourth season! 13 half hour episodes will be filmed right here in Edmonton and then broadcast nationally on APTN.
Think you’ve got some comedy chops? Think you’ve got what it takes to write a great sketch? Think you can follow the simple instructions on this page? Prove it!
We are looking for short (30 seconds to 3 minutes) comedy sketches to be part of this great series. This is an open call for anyone who would like to try their hand at writing a short comedy script or has already written one and would like to see it produced for television.
Please use this webpage to submit your script. Scripts submitted by other means will not be considered. Scripts are only accepted as PDF. Feel free to include storyboards, descriptions, illustrations, anything you think will help! The script can be intended for live action or animation. You may submit multiple scripts but please use a separate submission form for each. Please keep in mind that if selected, production reserves the right to edit, modify, or change your script in any way. The best scripts will be produced this fall and writers of the selected scripts will be credited and paid $300 at production.
Mandatory for all submissions:
1. A CAVCO Personnel Number MUST be submitted for EACH writer (within 10 days of submitting, instructions below).
2. Scripts must be ORIGINAL and submitter(s) must be the sole and rightful owner(s) of the concept. It CANNOT have been broadcast on TV or licensed by another media company at all.
3. Scripts must be submitted BLIND – with no names on the actual creative pages, your name(s) should only appear on your submission form.
4. You must read the release and select Yes I Agree before submitting.
Submission Deadline: June 30, 2016
Scripts Selected By: August 31, 2016
You will need a CAVCO Personnel Number in order to submit a script. It is easy, free and takes a few days to process, so do it now!
1. Go to this website and read the whole page http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1455572847624
2. To submit online (highly suggested, much easier) click eSubmission on the left hand menu which will take you to this page http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1455571824053
3. Go to the bottom and read the instructions for creating a new account and click “SIGN IN”, then select “CREATE NEW ACCOUNT” and follow the instructions.
4. You will need to provide proof of Canadian citizenship which can be a photocopy of any of these things:
a. Birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory (issued under the applicable Vital Statistics Act)
b. Canadian Certificate of Registration of Birth abroad (issued prior to 1977)
c. Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization (not commemorative issue)
d. Certificate of Indian Status
e. Registered Indian Record (must be certified)
f. Canadian Passport
5. Submit! And watch your email like a hawk for the next few days so you can include your number on your submission form!
6. This is mandatory for each writer submitting a script
7. If you have any questions or concerns please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch CAUTION: May Contain Nuts on APTN (Wednesday nights), or have a look at some episodes online (aptn.ca/cautionmaycontainnuts OR youtube.com/nutsontv). Notice any commonalities between episodes? Some “worlds” that we often live in? If you write for one of those, using the existing characters, the chances of your sketch being chosen are much higher. Some examples are: Dungeons and Dragons, Space Trek, Wild West, Heritage Minute, Video Game Parody, Movie Parody, and Music Video. And new this year will be: Speed Walking Dead, Canadian Avengers, Natives and Vikings, Mall Pirates, and 1920s Prohibition.
Submit your script in PDF using this online form. Feel free to include storyboards or descriptions, whatever will help sell your idea. The script can be intended for live action or animation. Please keep in mind that if selected, production reserves the right to edit, modify, or change your script in any way.
If you do not yet have your CAVCO number, don’t fret. Just submit your application to CAVCO as soon as possible and watch for the number! As long as you submit your CAVCO numbers within 10 days of submission to email@example.com, then your script can be considered.